Saturday, October 23, 2010

Day 3 - Reflections

Sat. Oct. 23, Day 3. I slept well last night, but like every single day since I've been here I wake-up at 6AM, after a shower and breakfast I decided to walk to the hospital. Shabbos in Tel Aviv is lovely, so much quieter than the rest of the week, less traffic, most stores and restaurants are closed and people seem more relaxed, this early morning walk was cathartic for me, a chance to clear my head we've been so busy running back and forth to Alexis in the hospital a quiet walk was exactly what I needed. The weather continues to be spectacular, hot with bright sunshine and clear blue skies, this is such a beautiful place, if it's calm like today or chaotic the rest of the week there is magic. I forgot that this is a country at war until last Tuesday at 11AM when the air raid sirens screamed across the city, it really startled us and I found myself asking what the evacuation plan was, there we were on the 20th floor of the medical center and I'm suddenly wondering what they would do if attacked? Well, I never got an answer because it was only a practise siren but still.....The soldiers are mostly young and attractive in there khaki's but they're also just kids laughing, talking and making plans, take them out of their uniforms and drop them into Thornhill and they would blend right in, but then you notice the weapons and you realize this is serious.
I got to the hospital early, Lex was still sleeping, she's getting worn out by her roommate a serious snorrer without a C-Pap, thankfully she is moving to a private room tomorrow. Her friends have started arriving Jen, Tal and their adorable son Seth came in yesterday, the minute Jen was settled she found her way over to Alexis in the hospital the main reason she is here is to be with Lex for the next couple of weeks, Hailey arrived today and has already called, her decision to come was also to be with Lex. Lex's support system is strong, including Rick and I there are now 7 of us here from Toronto. I also wanted to mention the staff from the clinic, because they are treating us like family, both Karin and Ruth have visited Alexis with Karin bringing home made brownies yesterday, I don't think we have ever felt alone or lost here and this is partially due to the them.

No comments:

Post a Comment