Wednesday, December 29, 2010

My Last Blog

Today is a very sad day. Lex lost her battle with Leukemia and passed away on Wed Dec. 29 at 5:15am Israel time. She died from complications from Leukemia not the Leukemia itself as she was still in solid remission, her liver just could not handle the 6 1/2 years of poisonous drugs she needed to take to survive this horrid, relentless disease, and so, it stopped working. Thankfully she fell into a deep sleep without knowing what was happening and simply never woke-up. Rick, Danielle, Jonathan and I held a bedside vigil for 36 hours only leaving for a hour to go home to shower and change our clothes she was never alone. She was not in any pain and for the most part appeared relaxed, calm, peaceful. Prof Slavin said he had never seen a liver deteriorate so quickly there was no time to do anything and actually in the end there was nothing that could have been done, of all the organs in the body the liver is the most difficult to repair, sometimes there can be a miracle and the liver can begin to regenerate but this was not the case for Lex. The last 2 weeks of her life were not easy, many of you asked why I hadn't posted a blog for a while, well, now you know the reason, I had nothing to post, Lex was in the hospital receiving treatment for several infections both viral and bacterial in the hopes that they could get them under control. Then her liver became enlarged and so the treatment switched to what was perceived the biggest threat to her life and all medications were removed to try to give her liver a rest.

At the moment we are all so sad and I wonder how can you recover from losing a child, a sister, a grand daughter, a niece, a cousin, a friend....or even, do you ever recover? Even though Lex was not conscious I talked with her and made a promise that we would all live our lives, well, somehow. But she leaves a massive hole and I really don't know how we will be able to go on without her.

She was loved by so many, truely, I have never known anyone who garnered so much love. Lex had this capacity to draw people to her and everyone who met her instantly became her friend. But some of her friends are truely special Jen, Tal and their baby Seth, Arielle, Seth, Hayley, Lisa, Elise and of course Mo who spent 6 weeks living with us, cooking for us and loving Lex in his very special way. You all flew in at great expense to be with Lex and I, and it was appreciated and wonderful. Donna having you in Tel Aviv with us was like a little bit of home and Karen you're support during this time was unwavering, your couldn't do enough for her and Lex adored you. I am so glad that all of you were able to spend time with Lex, I hoped that your visits would not be the last time you would ever see her, but I can't impress on you enough how much she loved you and how special you made her feel.

I asked Lex last week if she was still glad that we came to Israel and she answered me that she had no regrets, not one. She was only homesick for her dog Dodger. She thought of this experience as an adventure and even though she spent 7 weeks in hospital and the rest as an outpatient she loved living in Tel Aviv in our apartment, shopping for groceries, exploring local restaruants and making new friends and I loved having this time with her too. Where Toronto only offered her death, Israel offered her life and so these last 3 months were filled with smiles, laughter and hope always hope. Because it has ended this way doesn't erase the fact that the last 3 months of Alexis's life were pretty incredible and she knew it and I knew it too.

Rick, Dani and Jonathan how you all managed to fly in on this particular week amazes me, it is truely besheret that you are here. And I am so grateful that both Lex and I were never alone, Lex was surrounded by the love of her family when she passed and I know she knew we were all there. Jonathan you unselfishly stayed by our sides throughout, holding our hands bringing us tea offering support never intrusive just gentle and thoughtful.

So now with heavy hearts we have begun the process of leaving Israel, packing up our home, packing up Lex's belongings will be among the most difficult things I have ever done, her personality resonates and she is everywhere, tears are falling on my keyboard as I type this how can there be so many tears


****For those of you reading my blogs, I have decided to continue writing, so this in the end is not my last blog. Instead I see it as my last blog in Israel. My blog will continue to be written after I return home to Toronto.****

13 comments:

  1. While I did not know Alexis (I only knew of her through friends and the Jewish community) I am so so so sorry for your loss. All I ever heard was what a truly spectacular and warm person she was and how she simply just lit up every room. I have been following your story since September and am just so saddened by this news. My heart, thoughts and prayers are with your entire family through this very difficult time. The strength and determination of your entire family throughout this whole process is truly an inspiration to everybody, everywhere. May G-d bless your entire family and Alexis always.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just received the news from from your sister in law Donna and I am so sorry for your loss. I am a friend's of Donna's and have been following Alexis's plight from day one. This morning I opened my computer and just wanted to cry. My husband and I were in Israel 6 months ago and stayed very close to where you are staying so each time I closed my eyes and thought about you, I saw you walking to the hospital or stopping for a coffee ... etc.

    I cannot imagine what you are going through now and do not really know if my words are comforting but I do know that I never met you or Alexis and I feel so greatly for your loss.
    Baruch Dayan Emet.

    Sincerely yours,

    Judy

    PS
    I am sure that Donna told you that my brother lives in Tel Aviv. Please if you need anything to make these next few days a bit easier, call him @ Gilad 054 780 1649

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing your life with us these past months. We are all crying with you.

    Perhaps you will reconsider your decision to end your blog. Please use it to let us know how you're coping so that we, who have learned to care so much for your family, can find comfort and hopefully offer you strength.

    May you be comforted together with the mourners of zion and Jerusalem.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Baruch Dayan Emet.

    May your family only hear good news.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My heart goes out to you. I thank you for allowing us to get to know you, Alexis and your beautiful family. I hope you continue writing as you have the ear of thousands who deeply care about you.
    Hedda Muskat

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was crying when I read the blog this afternoon when you posted it.I never met any of you. But I did talk to Alexis and Debra and you both always were so nice. I remember talking to Alexis she was a real special girl and always happy. She was an angel and Hashem let her die as an angel with no pain or anything. She will be watching over all of you and all of Israel. I will always be here for you here In Raanana ,Israel. Alexis got to be in Israel and you did all you could for her and she will never be forgotten here or in Canada she was an angel and angles watch over all of us.Life continues and you have to be strong for your family and it won't be easy but Alexis will want you to continue doing things in her honor which is a big mitvah.. We will miss Alexis and we will never forget her smile and now she will be hashem angel.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I’m deeply saddened for all of you today. I too did not know Alexis, or you. But I looked to your blog daily to see how Alexis was doing and felt your hopes and fears and love. Alexis was a powerful woman and had the ability to connect with all of us. And the way she was loved back by all of you — friends, family, boyfriend. I can’t tell you how moved I am by the focused efforts of her friends.

    I believe you will live your lives well. For Alexis. Good Family. Good Friends. Good Food. Good Tears.

    David, who posted above, is a very poetic man. I agree that I would like to see your blog continue. I want to be able to continue to support you, if only by reading your words.

    May you be comforted together with the mourners of Zion and Jerusalem.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Baruch Dayan Emet.

    I'm so sorry for your loss. She will be missed. My deepest condolences for your family.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It may have been the 29th of December in Israel, but it was still the '28th' here in Toronto. "Koach"- "Strength", which is what I wish for you all!

    I can't even find the words to say to you and your entire family, other than to let you know we are all thinking of you and will be here for you. For there really are no words that can take away the pain you must be feeling. Our hearts are heavy with sadness for your loss and for our loss, for we all loved Alexis. Her smile and her memory will be with us all forever. Travel safely and we'll see you when you get home.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have followed Alexis and her battles, courage, through our friends the Hartzmans. Being through a similar situation, the loss of a child, puts us together in a sorority and fraternity no one should ever have to join. Please know that you will be able to put one foot in front of the other again. Take comfort in the many who are gathered to support you. If I can ever be of help, please do not hesitate to reach out. My condolences to you and your family. A friend from the US.......

    ReplyDelete
  11. I didn't know Alexis, or even your family. I heard about her through the Jewish community, and through meeting people who knew her. Still, I read this with tears in my eyes. Alexis has been a subject of inquiry at the dinner table, an inspiration. She sounds like she was such a strong person, and having met one of her friends who was in tears when telling me about her, I know that she was, is, and will be loved dearly.
    My sincerest condolences.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I also did not know Alexis, nor your family. I am a friend of Julie Brown's here in Ottawa ON. I have been following the blog, at first in simple support. Your daughter's strength touches us all, even strangers, and we followed via RSS-feeds with much hope and thoughts for her and your family.

    My sincere condolences to you, your family, and to all her close friends.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Why this is your last blog??
    I love your posts..

    Sharon
    Hoteles Tel Aviv

    ReplyDelete