Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Life Goes On-Lyat Lyat

There is so much to say, so much has happened, so much. I find that by writing I am able to organize my thoughts and it helps me make sense out of all this. Whether you read or not is not important, this is for me, it helps. The passing of my beautiful daughter last week has left a hole so huge we will never be able to fill it up. But her legacy, her legacy is beyond my wildest imaginings I feel as though the entire community is in mourning with us, she truly became a child of the city. By living in Israel we were isolated from the goings-ons in Toronto and of course my focus was on Lex we would hear inklings but because we were so far away they really didn't resonate. So all this attention is quite startling and humbling. We are not an attention seeking people, my husband, daughter and I lead-led quiet lives, Lex's illness forced us to seek the communities help in a manner totally alien to us. We are an ordinary family who did an extraordinary thing so extraordinary that I have trouble realizing all that transpired. But I do know that Alexis was given a gift. Because of the help we received Lex was able to live out a little fantasy she pushed the reason for our going to Israel to the background and pretended that this was an adventure, we both felt a little like Mary Tyler Moore throwing up her hat in Minniapolis excited about what the future held, as you know this would not have been possible in Toronto. So as painful as all this is my last memories of my daughter will always be her delight at living in our little apartment on Arlozorov, trying to learn hebrew, smiling and laughing with her friends and for that I will always be grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment