Sunday, January 23, 2011

Halavah Cakes

Our dear friends and family have blanketed us with love and support. I know they are concerned, but, we will get through this and carry on with our lives. One of the reasons we'll be successful is because of the support we've received from so many. This blog has surprised me, I write it because it's cathartic, putting my thoughts down helps me understand what I'm feeling, but now, I'm also writing because of the overwhelming response I've received. So many of you, complete strangers have felt compelled to send me messages on Facebook sharing your own stories of loss offering advise and support, letting me know that we are not alone. There is a poignant beauty to these messages their undertone of sadness with their offer of healing and I am listening.

Surprisingly, in spite of everything, we can still enjoy and appreciate the efforts of the people around us. While in Israel Lex and I discovered a cake, a Bubkah baked with chocolate and halavah and it quickly became a favorite of ours. Alana our wonderful cousin, wanted to visit us in Tel Aviv, so, she arranged to lead a Birthright Trip to Israel, when Lex died, she was already enroute, unable to replace herself. Her sister Elise knew we loved the halavah cakes from the Brasserie Restaurant/Bakery so they conspired to bring a few home. They purchased 20 cakes and each one was carried by a young adult from the trip. I have this image in my mind of these cakes being taken through customs and I can't help smiling at the thought. Sometimes it's the little things that have the biggest impact a beautiful gesture, transporting 20 cakes 5800 miles to my front door, teaches me that in spite of my grief I can still smile, a first step towards healing.

No comments:

Post a Comment