Saturday, November 13, 2010

5 Weeks!!!

November 13, 2010, we've now been in Tel Aviv for over 5 weeks, 5 weeks, it feels longer more like months so much has happened. I've established a routine, wake-up 6:30am, shower, eat breakfast, tidy up the apartment, walk to the hospital, spend the day with Lex after dinner leave the hospital, stop at the grocery store, get home by about 8pm, try to phone or skype family and friends in TO, go to bed by midnight, sometimes the routine includes preparing food for Lex but that's it. Family and friends who visit us fill in the gaps and then I get a little extra time to myself to paint or watch TV, it's funny because I just realized that most people have a similar routine, yes, the circumstances are probably different but the routine is the same, does this mean I am now 'living' in Tel Aviv as opposed to just existing here? I believe it does, I've become a familiar face to the barista's in Aroma who know my name, the security guard at the hospital no longer searches my bag when I arrive and the cashier at the local AM PM (a small 24hr grocery store) recognizes me whenever I go there. There is something very comforting in this, yesterday I got my hair cut and coloured, 'Effy' my new stylist and I hit it off immediately-and he has skills too! Gradually a 'life style' is evolving and it feels normal. The staff at the hospital have also contributed to this feeling of belonging they've bonded with Lex and I and the relationship has moved past just a clinical one.

Lex continues to slowly improve, each day we anxiously wait for the results of her blood work for any sign no matter how tiny and lately she has been delivering, this is not an easy process she is coping with fevers, rashes, nausea, puffiness and swollen ankles but Dr Askanazi in his usual abrupt manner states that non of these symptoms 'impress' him and brushes them all off with a wave of his hand, what he really means is that considering what her body has been through she hasn't experienced anything significant enough for him to worry about, amen.

Tomorrow is November 14, probably emotionally the hardest day for Lex since we've arrived, tomorrow is her dear friend Arielle's wedding. Lex was supposed to be a bridesmaid for her and there is a beautiful teal dress half finished still hanging at the dress makers. Not being able to participate in that wedding with all her friends and my not being able to sit in the congregation and watch the procession is heartbreaking, but I know Arielle only wants Lex to get better and come home healthy and as she said before we left, 'there is nowhere I would want Alexis to be right now than in Tel Aviv' so Lex it's okay to feel sad but just for a little bit, you have a job to do, and between Mo, Elise and I maybe tomorrow won't be so tough.
Arielle, we love you and Seth, you will be a beautiful bride and tomorrow is going to be a beautiful day. May everyday for the rest of your lives be just as wonderful for you as your wedding day....Mazel Tov!




No comments:

Post a Comment