Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Tel Aviv to Me

Tomorrow is 14 days post transplant, Alexis is doing well, she feels good and the doctors believe that it's only a matter of time until she engrafts. Everyday they do blood work and we always ask what her White Blood(WBC)and Neutrafil counts are, these are the most important indicators of engraftment and at the moment they are both at 0, this is why she has no immune system. When she engrafts her bone marrow will begin producing healthy WBC's and Neutrifils again - a normal WBC is between 4 and 11, healthy Neutrifils should be between 2 and 6, as soon as her WBC is about 2 and there are no other complications she will be able to continue her care as an outpatient. I look forward to bringing her home to the apartment, going back and forth to the hospital daily doesn't give me time to shop, cook or do laundry this may sound nice to some, but eating 'take out' all the time gets tiring I crave a good old fashioned home cooked meal made by me.
People ask me how I like living in Israel, I guess it sounds exciting even exotic living in another country but, Tel Aviv for me consists of 3 streets, Arlozorov, Diezengoff and Weizman these are the 3 streets I walk every day to get to the Icholov Hospital, it takes me 20 minutes and I walk every morning and usually cab back at night because when I leave the hospital it's dark out, the cab ride costs $25NIS or about $8.00.
As of this Thursday Nov. 4, we will have been here 1 month, in that entire time I have only gone to the beach once for an hour - the day after the transplant when I needed the serenity of the sea, sun and sand for a bit. So do I like living here? I guess I do, although I don't really think this is living it's more existing, we're here for a very specific purpose there is neither the time nor the desire to actually 'live' here until we have achieved what we set out to achieve, after everything is OK ask me again if I like living here, at that point I may have an entirely different answer for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment