Saturday, November 20, 2010

Learning to Dance in the Rain!

'Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain' This quote has become my mantra, I think about it all the time, I had it engraved on a bracelet that I always wear. Lex and I are at the center of a tornado the winds swirl around us its cold, wet, dark but it can also be calm, even peaceful. We take advantage when it's calm, when the storm abates a little, that's when we're able to leave the hospital take walks and get day passes, the calm times haven't been to prolific yet but when they happen we 'dance' a little. Life is about balance, trying to have good moments during hard times. I believe that you must always be aware of the good moments even during the worst, that you must try to do something you enjoy or that offers you peace no matter how small, especially when you are in a situation like this, it can be all consuming, my focus is totally and completely on Lex every day, is she eating enough? sleeping enough? does she have pain? what can I do to put a smile on her face? I don't require much, in fact when the calm days happen that's all I need, but in order for me to be able to give her the best possible care/support sometimes I need a change, a chance to recharge. Long walks help, going out with a friend for dinner works, painting, anything that offers a little change from the routine strengthens me to be able to focus on Lex, this is the balance that I seek, that I need.

We have been very fortunate to be inundated with visitors from Toronto, and once again they are flying in. Mo will be here for at least another 2 weeks, Lisa came in last Thursday tomorrow Ariele and her new husband Seth are arriving and next Thursday Lex's Aunt Donna will be here. But as wonderful as it is to see everyone I have learned the hard lesson of having to say good-bye and today Elise one of the most genine people I have ever met is leaving. Elise, who wakes up everyday singing 'it's a beautiful morning,' was the first person we saw when we got off the plane on Oct. 7 and she hasn't left our side since, she has met with and befriended all the doctors and staff from the clinic, she has an infectious sunny disposition a perky personality with a dose of old soul thrown in for good measure. We immediately invited her to move in and she has been with us ever since, because of her we never felt alone she devoted her last weeks in Tel Aviv to us, offering friendship, love and support. Her grasp of the language, knowledge of the city have been invaluable and the bond we forged with her was instantaneous and permanent. We love you Elise and will miss you, but know this, Toronto maybe a 12 hour flight but with today's technology we are are only seconds away!

No comments:

Post a Comment